This was once the largest castle in Devon, a classic motte and bailey structure with a stone keep built in 1086. It guarded a key crossing of the West Okement River and was kept as this until the 13th century when the owners the de Courtenays became Earls of Devon. They converted the castle into a hunting lodge with deer park, extending the castle to house more people. Once Henry VIII executed Henry Courtenay, the castle fell into ruin, by the 19th century it was used by painters including Turner for their subject of their artwork. Its now run by English Heritage and there is a cost to get in, however a road runs right next to it to it is easily seen from there.