Cadover Cross, aka the cross on Wigford Down, was originally erected in the 1200’s as a waymarker on the monks route between Plympton Priory and Tavistock. Currently only the base rock and the top third are original. The previous cross has fallen at least twice, once resurrected by soldiers from Ringmoor Down. The second time the original base stone was located and used. The name Cadover derives from the old name Caed-a-ford or Cadaford, meaning battle over the ford, suggesting a battle took place here. Being as no bridge was here at that time, the ford would have been a key crossing point of the Plym river.